CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What I have learned

Ok guys I am going to mix things up a bit in this post. Instead of the usual update on what Im doing, I am going to tell you a few of the things I have learned since I have been in the Army. The posts have been getting a little repetative I thing and its about time to shake things up a bit. Its been 6+ months now so there have been a few changes to my outlook on life and how I approach situations. Here are a few things I have learned and been taught by the Army.

Friends. I had friends before the Army, but the group of guys I call my battles have changed my perception of what a true friend is. Everyday I see them, heck I sleep in the same room with two of them, and evrything I have done, they have been right next to me doing the same thing, going through the same pain and feelings. They have never let me down and have always been there to pick me up when I get knocked down or having a bad day. We go out and have fun on the weekends together and then we all get smoked together whe we get back on Sunday. How do you describe the bond that we share? How do you put into words that we have a job that means we put our lives litterally in each other hands? I have 4 guys that will take a bullet for me and I know, if put in the situation, I would do the same. They would never leave me behind, be it in a combat zone or a bar or a class or a run. This was one of the things I was looking foward to when I joined. I had heard stories of guys still talking to Army buddies years later and now I know why.

Family. The Army has taught me the importance of my family. Before I joined, I had gone off on my own and kinda left my family behind. I can remember not calling Mom or Dad for 3 months straight one time andnot really thinking twice about it. I thought I could do things on my own. I was naive and selfish but now its like they are my main supporters. I guess it had to do with the fact that I was not doing much with my life and I was more embarassed than anything. But being in the Army has given me something to be proud about and something for my family to be proud about. Now if I more than a week without a call home, I feel like I missed something. Everytime I get a chance to see them, I savor every moment because I dont know when the next time will be. The Amry has shown me that not every family is as strong and as close as mine and it makes me happy knowing I have someone rooting for me back home and a bed to sleep in whenever I come back. I love you guys and thanks for being there for me all the time, not just when it was easy or convienent.

Organization. A strange concept of a 23 year old to be learning but as my family can atest to, I have never been what you may call a "neat" person. haha far fromit really. The Army gives you limited space for living so it makes you learn how to organize your crap. My wall locker my not always be inspection ready but everything has a place and for the most part it stays that way. My bed is always made and my clothes are always clean. I have alot more person pride in my uniform and the way I look. I get ticked off when someone is out of uniform or wearing it wrong. Major difference from my previous life. Example: In high school, I wore pajama pants to class. Now I make my bed everyday so tight you can bounce a quarter off of it. Before, it was a rare occasion that my bed got made. Things have changed.

Excercise. I get plenty of it. 5 days a week at 0800 I either run 3+ miles or do push ups, sit ups, and over head hand claps untill muscle failure. I am close to the best shape I have ever been in. Heck, I just took my end of cycle PT test and ran my 2 mile in 15:18. Before the Army, I had to stop to walk on the second lap, less than a half mile. While I dont love doing it, I have still learned the importance of being in good shape and how it gives you energy to accomplish the mission. I used to sleep 12+ hours a day and still not have the energy like I do now. Plus I got biceps again and you know how the ladies love the guns :)

Respect. I have always been respectful towards other people and my elders, teachers and coaches but now I have a solid reason. Life is tough and brutal if you are not prepared for it. The people who have gone through it before me have learned alot and if they are willing to pass along knowledge that will make my time easier then I am gonna open an ear and listen. I have a newfound respect towards veterns now that only the Army could instill. The men and women that have given their lives for this counrty have done the ultimate deed. Its just one of those things I took for granted before that I look at completely different now.

Self Defense. I know how to operate and maintain numerous weapon systems including my left and right fists. I pity the poor sap that tries to jump me in an alley now. I can protect myself and those around me with force if necessary but I also know when that level of protection is needed.

First Aid. I can start a IV. I know how to treat burns, wounds and bone fractures in a combat zone or out of one. I know how to treat a tension pneumothorax (needle chest decompression) and a sucking chest wound. I found out the hard way about personal hygene and what a miracle foot powder is.

Patience. Hurry up and wait. The Army's unwritten motto. Things arent always going to be done right away for you so sometimes you have to just do them yourself. I have stood in lines for inprocessing for 10 hours for a week straight. As my drill sergent told us, either you learn it on your own or it will be taught by blunt force trauma. That week was an example of the latter. Some people will not grasp concepts right away and sometimes you have to teach them and wait for them to catch up. Basic training was alot of that. Everybody had to be the same page every step of the way and if they fell behind you had to wait for them to catch up.

Puncuality. I have never been on time for much in my life. Senior year of high school I think I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 tardies and college wasnt any better. Im not what you call a morning person. But since I have been in the Army, 0445 formations are nothing new and I have yet to be late. I have never been late to class or any formation for that matter. I even shock myself sometimes with the ease of getting up in the morning now.

Thats all I can think of right now. I am sure there are some I am forgetting but I will add them in a later "themed" post. Hope you enjoyed.

Pvt. Warnock out.

3 comments:

Dale and Gail said...

PRIDE... in yourself for being the kind of man we all (including Gpa) knew you would be one day. Thank you, God.

Anonymous said...

Just when I think these posts can't get any better, you blow me away! It has been our prayer that you would make the most of your Army experience, building character, confidence, pride in yourself and what you stand for, and appreciation for your heritage, friends and family. It 6 short monthes you have exceeded our expectations and dreams for you. Nothing can hold you back now! You will soar.........and, hopefully, parachute to a safe landing! YOU ARE THE BEST, FRANK !!!!
Love always....no matter what! Mom and Dad

Katie said...

Frank, that was awesome. I loved hearing the things you've learned listed like that. I mean i knew most them because you and i have talked but you know me and words, i like to see it in black and white, too ('er...that would be white and black for your blog:)).
You are awesome Frank and I can't tell you how many times i am so proud of you. People ask me if I'm upset you're in the army because of the danger, but i say "absolutely not." The man you are (and are still becoming) and the purpose and confidence you now have are worth the risk and danger. You're living for a reason now and you can tell 100% that YOU're proud of who you are. That makes all the difference.
Proud to be your sister,
Katie