CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 25, 2008

Goodbye and welcome back

Hey guys Just a real qick update on my whereabouts and whats going on here. I am now back at home, my military home that is, in Ft. Benning getting inprocessed for Airborne school. It is so good to be back here. I really did hate Ft. Gordon. I hated the place but loved the people. I had to say goodbye to alot of friends that I made. It was harder than I had expected it to be. I really got close to so many people, much closer than I have ever gotten to anybody before. Civilian life and Military life are so completely different and the relationships you form are on a different level. Luckily, I still have Zupo, Miranda, Heidelberger, and Dixon here so its not like Im completely alone but I did have to leave a few good ones behind. Thompson was probably the hardest to say goodbye to. We have gotten real close over the past 5 months and I am going to miss her tons. Hopefully our leave times match up and we can hang out (she lives in SE Michigan. Shes a Michigan fan but I forgave her of her sins a long time ago) Alex, the civilian that reminds me of my sister, came over to say goodbye at 0700 yesterday morning before my bus left. She is an amazing person who is strong and firm about her beliefs and she is going to be missed. We had a lot of good long chats about stuff going on in our lives and it will be something I hope to continue in the future (coffee will probably be the medium as it usually is with me) Mitchell is still in class at Gordon and he was a member of the gang that I talk to all the time, eat all meals with and spend all the weekends with. Hopefully he can convince his soon-to-be wife to release him for our Vegas trip in Dec. If not, we will just have to kidnap him. Woo left last week and seeing how he was my roommate and battle from basic it was especially tough. He is home in Cali now and having a good time so Im glad for him. He is also on the list for the Vegas trip so the reunion will be complete. We also left a whole company of friends and aquaintances at Gordon. Yesterday morning at 0445 formation, I must of shook hands and hugged 50 people, most of them people I went to basic with also. Overall, a rough past week so please excuse the lateness of this post.

I guess an explanation is due for the 80's night pictures below. Last Saturday night, we went to a party with Alex but not before raiding the Goodwill store for some horendous clothes I think we suceeded. I was going for a Don Johnson look but it looks like it collidided with a Blues Brother. Miranda went as a 80's rocker and pulled it off magnificantly. Thompson looks like Punky Brewster but totally 80's all the way. We spent the night horribly dancing to horrible 80's music and laughing at each other. The great thing about 80's music is that you ca dance as pathetic and stupid as you want to and its ok because thats how they did it back then. I was pulling out all the classics, The Running Man, The Robot (which I am stellar at by the way) and I even broke out The Sprinkler follwed by a Moonwalk. Almost brought down the house.

So now I am at Ft. Benning and, whodathunkit, its hot and humid. God hates Georgia. I dont think Ill ever come back to this state after I leave unless they station me here. I really didnt plan this whole Airborne/RIP thing out. Something tells me its going to be a lot of sweating and stinky laundry for the next 7 weeks. Oh well, build a bridge and get over the river full of tears.

Alright guys, I think its time to start running so I dont fail my PT test Monday morning. I guess if you fail it, you automatically get dropped from the school so there wont be too much partying this weekend for us. Its Zupos birthday today so we are going to go out and celebrate that tonight but the rest of the weekend will be spent hydrating and running a few miles to get the legs warmed up. Wish me luck and enjoy your AC, Ft. Ohio.

Your newest Airborne student,
Frank

1 comments:

Dale and Gail said...

Wishing you all kinds of good luck at jump school although luck seldom has anything to do with success. Hard work and desire are much more important and you got that covered!

Good-byes are hard but you know you're about to be with another great group of people. Just when I think I figure out that your friends all come from the same general area of the alphabet, you start throwing in a 'M' and 'H' and 'D'. What's with that? I have a lot to learn evidently.

Be safe, be strong. Love you and, as always, very proud of you!