CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Standard

One of the things that is part of being a soldier is honoring our fallen comrades. I never thought that years ago when I attended my Gpa's military funeral that I would be in the army and follow in his very big footsteps. But here I am today, finally getting a better understanding of why my Gpa was such a great man. Im sure he had a great childhood where he learned important life lessons. But I really think that he learned more from his time in the Army about how to act and present yourself to others. He was constantly teaching us, most of the times without words.

Today I have my first funeral since Gpa's. I got put on Funeral detail which means that I carry the casket of fallen soldiers and properly lay to rest a member of my extended family. I seldom find myself at a loss for words but I stand here before you today speechless. I can think of no greater honor than presenting the deceased family with a flag and telling them that their soldier did not die in vain. We will continue the work that they started. The mission will be accomplished.

Every military funeral I will be a part of from now on, I will always take a second to remember Gpa. He is the standard that I strive to achieve and he set the bar high, just like every soldier before him.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will I ever be able to read this blog without bawling? I don't think so!

I still vividly remember the chills that raced up my spine when the Honor Guard solemnly saluted my Dad's casket as we approached the graveside. I was so proud to be his daughter.

Little did I realize that you would one day become one of those soldiers that I admired on that hot June day at Union Cemetary. Every funeral is bitter-sweet. You will be part of the "sweet" that is remembered and cherished.

Hold your head high and proud. Grandpa is!

Dale and Gail said...

We alll have told you how proud of you GPAwould be and though you've said you know it I think maybe now you feel it too.

Gpa's whole purpose in life was his family and he is beaming with pride that every single one of his grandchildren has chosen to honor his life by how they are leading their own lives.

The legacy continues!

Krista said...

My grandpa wasn't in the military, but he was a great man, just like yours was. Sometimes we don't fully appreciate someone or something great until it's gone. I still have my moments when I'm alone that I cry like a little baby - but knowing that my grandpa is hugging me from high above gives me tremendous comfort. And, knowing that men like you are still around gives me the greatest comfort of all.

Lynne said...

Frank

You sure know how to make your friends cry! My eyes welled up just reading this. Proud of what you are doing and proud of who you are. Keep you head held high at all times.