CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Years Pass and Resolutions

So there has been alot that has happened since the last time I posted that I need to inform you all about. First off, I was able to make it home for New Years after way more hassle from my company than was necessary to come home for the last holidays before we deploy. The Army is always stressing family family family but then this run around with my pass comes up and kinda throws a wrench in all of that. But anyways I made it home safe and sound with my plane touching down a little before 11am new years eve. We crammed New Years, Christmas and enough food to make up for my absense at Thanksgiving into 3 and a half days. I was so concentrated on the next thing we were doing I lost track of time and didnt stop to see my friends. Krista and Amanda, I am truly sorry for snubbing you this time around. My whole family was home and that only happens every so often so I tried to focus most on enjoying their company. Next time I am home, you two can be sure that there is coffee and a dollar movie.



Well New Years was awesome. The kraut didnt dissappoint and having the whole family there at the same time made for good conversation. New Years has always been one of my favorite holidays because of the food and the family time. This year, like all the rest, I got my fill and then some.



On Friday, we had our Christmas. One of the best ones I can remember. I was really excited to give my presents to Mom, Dad and Katie. I was most proud of Katies present. I got her a mp3 player that she can use to take with her to the Holy Land with Mom. That should help the 14 hour plane ride over and back, I hope. Got Mom some jewlery that she wanted and Dad a "Support the Troops" tshirt. Dad is the hardest to buy anything for. Whatever he wants, he just gets himself so all we can really get him is shirts and DVDs. But I think I got a great idea for next year depending on when my R&R from Iraq comes. Not letting the cat out of the bag but it is definately right up Dad's alley. I, on the other hand, made out like a bandit this year. I have been hooked on the Harry Potter series, both books and movies alike. I got all the HP books in hardback and the 4th movie on DVD. I left books 1-3 at home for Mom to read after months of persuading her to give them a try. I just got an email today that she finished the first book in 4 days and is now a "Potter Addict." Glad to hear cause I think this is a series Mom would love and its long enough that by the time you finish the 7th, you want to go back and reread them to get the parts you missed and see how the whole story ties together. I also got a new coffee maker, an amazing book with hundreds of photos from a day in the life of a soldier (that was orginally my late Gpa's and was bequeathed to me. It will be a treasured possesion and hold a cherished place on my bookshelf), about 4 or 5 Mom picked tshirts that has become her niche in my closet (Some of my favorites: "Let me be FRANK with you", "I am the product of a secret government project" and a tank top that says "I have the right to bear arms"), nice dress up shirts and a sweater that goes overtop of them from my sister, Gift certificates to Best Buy that I used to get an external hard drive for Iraq and a $50 savings bond from my Gma that I will be using, along with all the others her and Gpa have given me, towards a down payment on a house when the time comes. I think that that would be the best way to use all those savings bonds. Like I said, I made out high school junior on Valentines Day. Great Christmas!



Also, thank you to all the people that sent me Christmas cards. I have saved everyone of them and like to look at them from time to time to remind me of the large support channel I have back home.



That night, Mom, Dad, Katie and I went to a japanese steakhouse, you know the kind of place that makes the food right in front of you. Great food and a great show but the best part was what we later referred to as the "Sake Shower." Sake is a type of korean liquer that is made from rice but its only 40 proof so its real easy to drink. That is unless the chef decides to squirt it into your mouth from 3 feet away! Which is of course what he did. My mother, the woman who does not drink at all, got sake squirted in her mouth but most of it went down the front of her as her lips clamped shut once the sake hit her lips. Probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Ever. You know, it mixes quite well with Diet Coke, Mom. Haha!



Then came Saturday and it was time to leave. I was sad to go after such a short time. Next time I will be home will probably be for my predeployment block leave which should be 2 weeks worth of home time. That will be nice and I hope to make it home Some time inbetween then and now for a weekend if my funds support such a decision.

Now for the real reason I started this post in the first place. I wanted to let you know of my New Years Resolutions I made this year. Actually, this is the first year I have ever tried, really tried, to make some that I would stick to. So here they are in perticular order.
1) Quit smoking
2) Keep room to inspection standards at all times
3) Work out everyday (not including morning PT)
4) No more fast food (chinese not included)
5) 250 PT score

I tried not to do the usual lose so and so many pounds. I figure if I stick to these 5 things, the pounds will come off naturally. A 6 pack would be nice too!

So there you have it. A post that should make my Mom happy and off my back for a week or so haha. If you see her, ask her how her new book is.

Your nicotine craving soldier,
Frank

PS I got promoted at Mondays End Of Month formation. I am now a PFC. Along with the raise in pay from E2 to E3, there is also a 3.9% across the board pay raise. What a better time to get promoted!

4 comments:

Solita ♥'s You said...

This is great, Frank. I love reading your blogs. Congratulations again on the promotion and good luck with your new years resolutions. I'll be sure to yell at you if I see you with a cigarette! Talk to ya later doodlebug!

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......

Krista said...

I am SO proud of you - you know you can do anything you set your mind to (you know, like quitting smoking ;)) You're one of my very best friends and you know I only want the best for you - and, I'm telling you - if you can kick this smoking habit, it will be one of the best things you ever do. And, just remember - you can do this.

Auntie Ann said...

I agree, we had one of our best Christmas/New Year's holidays ever! It was way too short and a bit too concentrated but GREAT all the same!

To clarify: The "jewelry" Frank glossed over in his report of Christmas was one of the most precious gifts I have ever received. I had asked Frank for "something tangible" that I could keep close to me while he is deployed this next year. (FYI: His company is scheduled to leave for Iraq on July 7, 2009.) Frank chose a beautiful necklace that has a pendant of diamonds in a circle. He has a tattoo that he designed himself that includes a circle representing " all the family, friends, and church people who are my circle of support" . So he wanted me to have a "circle" to keep close to my heart while he is gone. Goosebumps, huh! I've decided I will put that necklace on the day Frank leaves for Iraq and wear it everyday until he returns safe and sound!

Frank, I will be praying for you as you once again go through nicotine withdrawal. Hang in there! You've done it before and you can do it again......for longer this time!

Congrats Private First Class!
Love, your healthy-lungs-craving Mom